| || |
So many things take away your time. A few tips to help you keep more time for you and what you REALLY want to do with your time.
1. Keep email from taking your time.
• Keep your personal and work email addresses separate;
• Consider a second personal email to give when an email is required for purchases and other consumer online activities. Yes, you have to check it, but those aren’t cluttering your private, personal email box.
• Take a few minutes once a week or more, to unsubscribe to any and all unwanted sites that have started emailing you.
2. Avoid website distractions that can eat up an hour or two before you know it!
• It’s too easy to get stuck on social media, news, and so on. ONLY do those when you want a bit of a break from work, and even consider setting your phone timer for 10 minutes. You’ll be amazed how fast that goes!
• IF you want to play online, and that is your choice for your down-time, then go for it. But if you have a chance to get outside, exercise, spend time with family, or other things, then keep the screen from owning your time! Set the timer!
• Have a list - EVERY DAY. Your to-do list will help you stay focused and productive. That will leave more time for YOU. Keep on it. Get what you can done.
Dr Walter Doyle used to tell me to pick up the paper ONE TIME and complete the task. In other words, look at the list, choose a task and do whatever you can NOW to complete or to get the task going for now. Then next task. Avoid looking at the list, starting a task, setting it aside, getting distracted, etc. Do it, and move along.
Dr Chris Baker
Dr. Chris Baker is Past President of the American Orthodontic Society, a pediatric dentist and teacher of orthodontics, An author, dental practice consultant, mentor, and a current or former faculty member of three U.S. dental schools, Dr Chris practices and blogs in beautiful Abu Dhabi, UAE, and glorious Texas, USA.
Text and images
© 2018 Dr Chris Baker